Thursday, March 10, 2005

Neighborhood Support

Once the word is out that you're running a marathon, it becomes a hot topic of conversation. This morning, for example, by 11 a.m. six different people asked me how my training was going. It's really good for me that so many people care, because it helps keep me motivated to stick with the training.

One of the other mums didn't realize I was going to run the marathon. "You're just going to do a little bit of it, right?" she asked.

"Oh, no, I'm doing the whole thing," I said.

"Wow. Quality," she said (I'm guessing that's a good thing. I've never heard that term used before and I don't know her well enough to ask).

All this support will be terrific on the day itself, too, since the course starts in Greenwich, loops around and then goes through Greenwich again at mile six. I'm hoping there will be lots of people I know cheering me on that day. I'll feel like a sports star, and all the other runners around me will be so impressed that I know so many people!

Of course, at mile six, I'll be fresh as a daisy. It's when I'll be hallucinating around mile 24 that it would be incredibly helpful to see a friendly face.

No comments: